Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Jambalaya Recipe

There was such a huge interest in my 6 week challenge post so I thought I'd share some recipes of what I've been eating to slim down. When most people think of losing weight they think salads, but salads get boring very quickly!! So the first recipe I'm going to share is Jambalaya. It's a nice hot and healthy dinner and has received a thumbs up from my boyfriend and my boss. Dean (the boyfriend) tells me to make loads so he can bring it in for lunch the next day as well!

I love making this dish and can see myself having it every week, especially during the winter. It's a cross between a stew and a paella, it's hearty, healthy, a little bit spicy but also vey delicious!

Warning: It takes about 20 minutes to prepare then another hour or so to cook, so give yourself plenty of time!

Ingredients

2x chicken breasts chopped into pieces
1 cup of prawns (optional)
8 x chunks of chorizo
650ml chicken stock
1 x cup brown rice
2 tsp paprika (I use smoked paprika)
2 tsp chilli powder
Chilli flakes and or 1 tsp. of chilli paste
2 large garlic cloves chopped
1 tin of tomatoes
1 onion
Handful of corn
Handful of peas

So first of all I don't really measure ingredients, a bit of this here a bit of that there, have a little taste and see if it's alright is my approach. But the above is generally what I use. Also I use the onion and chorizo for flavour only, I don't actually eat them! The prawns are optional, I love them but if you don't just leave them out or add an alternative :)


Paprika, chilli powder, garlic, rice, tomatoes & chorizo

Method

1. Get a massive pot and pour in the stock, add the garlic, paprika, chilli powder, chilli flakes, tomatoes, onion, rice, chorizo and chicken. Give it a good stir and bring to the boil. Like I said with the onion I don't eat it, so I just put a whole one in then take it out at the end but feel free to chop it up if you want to.

How it looks at the start

2. Once boiling reduce heat and leave simmer for about 40 minutes. It will start to get less watery and thicken up. The tomatoes will disintegrate as well, so don't worry about them being chunky! Have a taste and see if it needs anymore paprika or chilli, add as you see fit.

3. After the 40 minutes (or when it's thickened up) throw in the corn, peas and prawns as they don't take too long to cook and leave it simmer for about another 15 minutes. Once it nice and thick, take it off the heat and serve. Don't forget to take out the onion! I also avoid the chorizo because it's not the healthiest!

Ignore the state of my cooker!!!

Serve it up in a bowl and sit on the sofa eating it :) This amount will do myself and the boyfriend for dinner, with plenty of leftovers for lunch!

The finished product!

Trust me when I say this is delicious, and I usually hate stew!! Let me know if you try it :)

x

Recipie takes inspiration from Chicken by Love Food but I've used some alternatives and made some changes :)


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar